The Depot Theater Company — The premiere Live Theater in Southwest Kansas — has been in the business of entertaining locals and visitors alike since it was first founded at the Boot Hill Museum Complex in 1984.
The company was originally housed in the east end building on the Boot Hill Museum boardwalk, the Occident/Old House Saloon building. Funny Money was the final company show at Boot Hill Museum in March 1996.
The company moved to the Homestead Theater in 1996, located east of the Santa Fe Depot. The west half of the building was originally constructed as dormitory for the ‘Harvey Girls’ that worked in Harvey Restaurant and Hotel in the Depot. The old dormitory became prop and costume storage for the company. The mid-century addition to the east, formerly the Elk Lodge, became the Homestead Theater and the company’s new home.
In 1996 Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad donated the 1889 Santa Fe Depot to the City of Dodge City. Years of grant writing and research culminated in a plan to restore the depot, and build on a new state of the art theater for the company.
In July of 2004, after 8 years of restoration and construction the company moved into the new theater. The first production in the new space was ‘Anyone can Whistle.’
14 years later, the company continues to provide Broadway-style entertainment in Southwest Kansas.